Steam is the popular digital distribution platform by Valve, released in September 2003. This platform allows players to download and update games. However, in the last few weeks, many Steam users are experiencing an issue when downloading their favorite games. They notice the very slow downloading speed and sometimes, they cannot even download at all. This issue is quite frustrating and so many players are wondering how to fix this issue. Here we have covered several methods and solutions to fix the slow download speed issue on Steam.
Fixing Steam Slow Download Speed Issue
It is quite annoying when you have already planned to enjoy the new game but you won’t be able to download it quickly from Steam because of the slow speed issue. Well, there are some tactics you can try to make the downloading process faster.
Check Steam App Itself
One of the first things you should look into is the Steam app itself. There is a setting in the app that sometimes restricts the download speed.
1. Open up the Steam client
2. On the top, click on the Steam tab
3. Then select Settings
4. On the left side, click on Downloads
5. There you will see a checkbox called Download Restrictions. Make sure, it is not checked as it has a limit set and so you will not be able to download any game faster than the set limit.
6. Besides, check your Download Region. Make sure you select the region which is very close to you that helps to download the games speedily. To check the traffic in some other different regions, you can use the map of the Steam downloads.
Check your PC and Internet Connection
After making sure the best settings on the Steam, if you are still having the slow download speed issue, you can try the following workarounds.
– Check your Antivirus and Firewall settings. IF the Steam is not there on its approved list, you won’t be able to download faster. So, make sure to add Steam to your safe list
– Make sure your internet connection is running well and stable.
– Check if you are not using a lot of apps and devices on the same internet connection. If other processes are going on at the time of downloading a game, it will certainly slow down things.
– Also, it is advisable to keep your PC close to your router to get maximum signal strength. In addition, you can also try to use an Ethernet connection for downloading instead of using Wi-Fi.
– Lastly, adjust your PC settings and give Steam priority treatment. Here is how you can do it:
- In the taskbar, right-click on the Windows logo
- Click on Task Manager
- Select details and open up all the current processes
- Find out Steam.exe
- Right-click on it and then select Set Priority
- Click on High
That’s all for this guide. All of these will surely help you to provide Steam with all the bandwidth it requires for the fastest download speed.
Also check – How to fix Steam deck not working after updating.